- Skip shaving days when possible. This gives your skin a chance to rest.
- Alternate between a razor and electric shaver.
- Look for shaving products that are formulated to help make beard hair softer and finer. This makes it easier to cut through the hair when you shave.
- Apply moistorising lotion several minutes prior to shaving.
- Use a fresh razor blade thus allowing you to apply minimal pressure.
- Reduce friction on the skin by using a rich lather.
- Avoid foams that are high in surfactants (lathering agents).
- Choose low-alcohol or “buffered” alcohol shaving products containing:
- barrier restoratives;
- aloe (to soothe minor nicks and cuts).
- Wait a few minutes before splashing on fragrance.
Reference: Clinique (2007), “Practive Safe Shaving”, Clinique Skin Supplies for Men – Product Guide, London.